Latest from the Ongkilis

Alex, Marilyn and Jesse Ongkili are friends of Branches Fellowship and we, as a church, support their ministry in Malaysia and wherever the Lord leads them.  The following is their latest newsletter:

Greetings from Haida Gwaii (otherwise known as Queen Charlotte Islands)

We have just completed our first week of Kids’ camp!  We came back to civilization where we have internet access for one and a half days and then we heading back out to the camp (in just a few hours) for another full week of Teens camp.

Thank you so SO MUCH for your prayers for our first week.  It was a wonderful camp!  We had 30 children plus tent leaders, kitchen staff and so on.  The Lord really answered all of our prayers for good weather.  We had wonderful sunshine last week to the extent of almost using up all of the sunscreen.  😉  Now it’s quite cold, overcast and windy.  The forecast for the upcoming week is only between 12 and 16 degrees and pretty overcast and rainy.  We’d appreciate your continued prayers for warmer weather and not much rain so we can carry out the great activities planned for the teens.

The children all had such a fun time at kids’ camp and the Lord was with us in a very special way.  At least 8 children committed their hearts to God for the first time!  At the end of our last chapel night, 99% of all the people there recommitted their lives to the Lord and we had a sweet time of praying for each other and then rejoicing together.  It was amazing to see even little 8 and 9 year olds with tears going down their cheeks and a big smile on their faces as they were totally overwhelmed by the Lord’s presence and His incredible love for them.  It was so real and so precious!  One night, July 7th, we had a big “birthday celebration” as we celebrated the one year anniversary of the children who became Christians last year at camp.  It was wonderful!

Last week I (Marilyn)  got a wasp sting on my ankle.  Although it really hurt at the time, it seemed fine by nighttime.  The next morning though I had a lot of pain and a lot of swelling.  As the day went on, I was having real difficulties even walking.  Eventually I had to be driven about 45 minutes away to the hospital to get it checked out.  The doctor said that it was not at all an allergic reaction.  But, what had happened was the wasp that stung me had some kind of bacteria on its stinger so that when it stung me it shot it into me and then it grew into a terrible infection.  My foot swelled up so badly that I had “lost” both bony ankles on either side of my foot.  I was so puffy and so red and it was quite painful to walk.  It took almost 3 days for the medication to make a noticeable difference.  It looks like it is finally making some progress now.  The Lord has been faithful though through this time, even though it’s been challenging.  I’d be very grateful for your prayers for 100% healing.  It’d sure be great to be pain-free and to be able to run around with everyone again.

So, thanks again for all your prayers.  For this coming week, we expect to have almost 30 teenagers at camp, plus a bunch of young adults as leaders.  Please pray for Alex and I as we have just one day to refuel, before speaking again at another 8-10 chapel times.  Pray that the Lord would really speak through us.  Please also pray for great weather, safety for everyone and continued healing for my foot.  We really, REALLY appreciate your prayers!

With love,

Alex, Marilyn and Jesse